Last week the New York Yankees offered free agent CC Sabathia a contract worth $140 million over six years. Sometimes when I hear about baseball contracts, it’s just a flurry of numbers: Millions and years, incentives and more millions. But this offer…yow. That’s a ton of money, Holmes.
If Sabathia accepts these boatloads of cash, what could he do with it all?
With $140MM, CC Sabathia could buy:
- 54 million loaves of bread.
- 32.6 million Baconators.
- Pretty much any home in America, except the former dwelling of William Randolph Hearst. Random.
- 5283 kilos of cocaine in New York.
- Each of these 10 most expensive cars available…times 22.
- The Phoenix Coyotes…almost.
- The expected contracts of all of the 2009 Royals, including free agent signings that haven’t happened yet, twice.
- 28 million Subway footlongs.
- 1866 of this Lou Gehrig print, which is 75 grand for some reason.
- My tuition, plus housing, for 10,000 years.
I can’t imagine having that kind of money. Heck, most of the time I can’t even imagine having enough cash to go to a movie or dine out any place with no dollar menu. (As a disclaimer, I *know* ballplayers don’t get paid in lump sums. Duh. So don’t even go there.)
That last item just makes me sick – real people are fledgling and floundering through a legitimately scary economic downturn. Paying for school was going to be hard enough before the shit hit the fan this year, and it’s only going to get worse (I think). Yet a guy who plays baseball as a job could easily pay for my entire college career without even noticing the money was gone. [/soapbox]
What would YOU buy with $140 million?