Hey foodie fans – I know it’s a little strange to see a Foodie Friday post on a Monday, but hear me out: Beer Cheese Cupcakes with Bacon Cheddar Cream Cheese Frosting. Yup, you heard me. And since Mondays aren’t anyone’s favorite and cupcakes make everything better, and also in honor of Fat Tuesday being tomorrow, I thought I would share my new favorite recipe with you all that was a TOTAL SUCCESS for Super Bowl Sunday :)
I randomly came across this recipe while trying to google another old favorite – Brian Boitano’s (yes, that Brian Boitano) Bacon Corn Muffins with Savory Cream Cheese Frosting. I made those a few years ago, and yes, they were as fabulous as Mr. Boitano himself. But in my google search (and my lack of remembering the name of recipes pre-Pinterest), I also came across another recipe that contained the words Beer, Bacon, Cheddar AND Cupcakes. Sounded a little strange since it contained savory ingredients and sugar, but I figured hey, who doesn’t like bacon and sweet stuff?
Verdict? They were AWESOME! I added some red dye to the brownish batter to make maroon, and yellow dye to the frosting to be ‘goldish’ since I was attending a Super Bowl party at a Niners household, but the overall consensus seemed to be that they were awesome and weird but deliciously confusing! I also nixed the bacon bits mixed in to the frosting in favor of a BIG OL chunk of bacon, but that’s just me. BIG thanks to Stef at The Cupcake Project for her post way back in 2008 – these have definitely been added to the party dessert repertoire.
Beer Cheese Super Bowl Cupcake Recipe
Yield: About 18 cupcakes
- 1 cup beer (I used Bud Select. I’m not usually a Bud gal, but they do sponsor the Super Bowl, so I had to go there.)
- 1 stick, plus 1 tb, unsalted butter
- 1 cup grated cheddar (I’d go for the good stuff here. Get something nice and sharp, not the cheap stuff that comes shredded in a bag.)
- 2 cups dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 tb vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Heat beer and butter in a large saucepan on medium-high heat until butter is melted.
- Add cheddar.
- Remove from heat, and whisk in the sugar.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the sour cream with the eggs and vanilla.
- Mix the sour cream mixture into the beer mixture.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour and baking soda.
- Fold flour mixture into the batter.
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 fill.
- Bake at 350 F for 25 minutes, or until inserted cake tester comes out clean.
Bacon Cheddar Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
- 8oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup grated cheddar
- 1 cup bacon bits (I made my own by cooking some bacon in a glass pan in the microwave for 3 minutes between paper towels and food processing it.)
- Beat cream cheese and butter until creamy.
- Add grated cheddar.
- Slowly mix in powdered sugar.
- Stir in bacon bits.
Original recipe and post: http://www.cupcakeproject.com/2008/01/beer-cheese-cupcakes-with-bacon-cheddar.html#ixzz2KcX7xX7z
Hope you all enjoy cupcaking, and happy early Fat Tuesday!!