Happy 4th, America! Hope you are all enjoying the surrealism of a Wednesday holiday. Here is the US Women’s Soccer Team just after their last Olympic tuneup match. I’m a big fan of the (new?) striped kits, but I do think Nike missed out on a design opportunity by not making the goalie kit darker blue and covered with stars — just think how cool the above picture would look with Hope over in the left corner.
If you are having to work today (or are perhaps one of our Canadian readers), or if you just are looking for some entertainment before the baseball games and fireworks start, we’ve got you covered….
- It is the last day for the Final Vote in the All-Star Game! I’m going to remain neutral and not tell you to go vote for David Freese, but Chipper Jones has been selected to replace Kemp, so your sentimental NL vote’s already gone.
- Speaking of the All-Star Game, Joe Posnanski notes that “making the game matter more” is maybe not the direction MLB should be going.
- This is from last week, but if you have not seen Spiderman flying out of CC Sabathia’s butt, you kind of need to.
- You may have heard about the Reds prospect who has already stolen 100 bases this season in A ball. Grant Brisbee at Baseball Nation has seen him in person, and explains.
- Rob Neyer explores historic Breese Stevens field in Madison, Wisconsin.
- Now that hockey season’s over, Katie Baker is exploring sports that take place after the ice melts. (Yes, this is Olympic Swimming Trials coverage. Yes, Phelps and Lochte are mentioned. Yes, there is a picture. But seriously, stay to read the article — it’s great.)
- Olympic fever is starting to invade even the non-sports blogs in my RSS reader. There’s a new book out about Olympic sports! I may smell a Ladies… Book Club (it smells like libraries and wine, if you must know).
Happy Independence Day!